Head of Cataloguing and Metadata Services at the Alma Jordan Library. The U.W.I. at Saint Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago.
- Provide leadership in the development of cataloguing, classification policies and procedures.
- Plan, organize and coordinate all cataloguing, classification and processing activities in consultation with the Head, Technical Services and the professional staff of the Cataloguing & Metadata Services Unit. (CMSU)
- Review work assignments and allocate resources for the (CMSU).
- Maintain and supervise statistical and other records related to the (CMSU) and its functions.
- Assess and evaluate processes and procedures for continual improvement and maximum efficiency, including but not limited to workflow changes and the adoption of new tools and technologies.
- Manage the Alma Jordan Library or Medical Sciences Library during relief duty.
- Supervise all staff of the Cataloguing & Metadata Services Unit (CMSU), inclusive of five (5) professional staff members and five (5) paraprofessional (ATS) staff members.
- Conduct orientation and on-the-job training for new staff and other staff at professional and paraprofessional levels.
- Allocate and review work assignments and assess workloads.
- Conduct continuous and annual performance appraisals for ATS staff of the CMSU and assess annual performance of professional staff.
Cataloguing and Classification, Other Duties
- Manage all activities associated with cataloguing and authority control including the Library’s contribution to the OCLC cooperative and NACO initiative.
- Provide access to St. Augustine Libraries’ collection of materials in a variety of formats, by performing original cataloguing or by adapting complex cataloguing records in all formats and all subject areas.
- Serve as a resource on complex cataloguing and metadata standards.
- Serve as an LC Rules Interpretation specialist.
- Promote the use of consistent headings in the catalogue and contribute to the efficiency of the cataloguing effort by establishing name, subject and series authority records.
- Coordinate the submission of authority records to LC Name Authority File via the NACO Caribbean Funnel
- Maintain awareness of emerging trends and issues in authority and bibliographic control.
- Advise the Head of Technical Services and other staff on new developments in cataloguing and authority control.
- Plan, organize and supervise retrospective conversion activities for the Alma Jordan Library and the satellite libraries.
- Advise the Acquisitions and Continuing Resources Librarian on additions, changes, deletions in the Campus Libraries’ catalogue.
- Oversee the implementation and maintenance of the Aleph Cataloguing module at the Alma Jordan Library’s satellite libraries.
- Manage the automated cataloguing module of the ILS, at the St Augustine Campus Libraries.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by The Head of Technical Services and the Campus Librarian.
- Participate in professional activities, including University and Library Committees and Task Forces, and attendance at professional meetings.